Mascara. It’s the inevitable struggle and I have a plethora of tubes in my makeup drawer with various promises including length, volume, smudge-proofing, resisting water and conditioning to prove it. One’s preference in mascara is as personal as politics or religion, in my opinion. What might work for some, might not work for others. To add to the stress of finding ‘the one’, we’re enticed and (for some) burdened with the option of false lashes which can turn something that seems so simple into a grueling beauty ordeal. Even as a makeup artist, I’m pretty basic in my personal regimen, and while applying lashes on a client is easy as pie for me to do, applying them to myself can be a hilarious sight to see. I rarely do it and it’s hit or miss when it comes to nailing it on the first try.
Enter Younique’s Moodstruck 3D Fiber Lashes. I was sent this product to try out and honestly wasn’t sure what to expect. While it’s apparently been an Instagram success (there are an endless amount of before and afters), I had never heard of the brand, nevertheless this specific product. It piqued my curiosity so I thought I’d give it a go.
The mascara comes in a case that is similar to a spectacle case, and inside there are two tubes. The first is the Transplanting Gel; an opaque, black gel that is quite similar in consistency to a traditional mascara. The second is the Natural Fibers; a dry, uber-fibrous consistancy with a very dense and short bristled wand.
How It Works
(It works best to do all the steps on one eye at a time)
1. Apply a coat of the Transplanting Gel.
2. While the Transplanting Gel is still wet, apply (carefully) the Natural Fibers.
3. Apply a final coat of the Transplanting Gel to seal it all in.
Top- no product, Middle- One coat of Moodstruck system, Bottom-Two coats of Moodstruck system
Tricks + Tips
- You can apply a coat of your favourite mascara first and let it dry before doing this over top. Personally, I found it a little too clumpy on mine, but others swear by it.
- You can do the steps a few times to up the ante.
- When applying the Natural Fibers, try to avoid getting too close to the base of the lashes. I found my eyes got very irritated when some of the fibers got in my upper waterline.
- A waterproof makeup remover works best to remove. While this is NOT a waterproof product, the fibers coat the lashes well and need a more thorough removal.
This product actually blew my mind; it’s like false lashes without the hassle! It may have ruined me for other mascaras that promise a more dramatic look. That being said, I can’t wear this everyday because I find it feels like there can be a bit of buildup on the lashes. If you wanted this for daily wear, I’d recommend you use a oil-based pre-cleanser (something like Dermalogica’s Precleanse) to help thoroughly remove the product while conditioning the lashes.
I’ve tried plenty of two step fiber mascaras from other lines, but this one is definitely the best I’ve come across. I would repurchase this without any hesitation.
If you would like to pick up the Moodstruck 3D Fiber Lashes Mascara, you can purchase online here.